- Administration (clerical support, accounting/financial support)
- Engineering (City Engineer)
- Ballantrae Golf Club
- Building Inspections and GIS
- Human Resources
- Facilities Maintenance and Landscape
- Parks and Recreation
- Pelham Civic Complex & Ice Arena
- Public Works (laborers for maintenance and repair of streets and other community areas)
- Garage (mechanics to support operation and maintenance of all city vehicles)
We encourage you to complete an online application and submit it via email. We will retain your application on file for 60 days. (You may also forward a copy of your resume.)
We do not discriminate on the basis of race, sex (including pregnancy), color, age, national origin, disability or any other protected status. We base our hiring decisions on a variety of factors., including skills and ability to perform the job, prior employment experience, employment references as to character and willingness to work, willingness to accept the offered salary and personal interviews. The City of Pelham is an equal opportunity employer.
Current Employment Opportunities:
Ballantrae Golf Club
The City of Pelham is currently accepting applications for the full time position of Senior Greenskeeper with the Ballantrae Golf Club, Course Maintenance division. This job involves the application of chemicals and fertilizers along with the operating of all types of golf course maintenance equipment. Manual labor is required along with the ability to work weekends and holidays.
Duties may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Maintaining all aspects of golf course and grounds by using required skills and equipment.
- Having a working knowledge of the calibration and application of herbicides, fungicides, insecticides, and fertilizers.
- Following all applicable safety procedures and laws when using equipment and chemicals.
Candidates should possess a high school diploma or GED. Three to four years’ experience in the area of golf course maintenance is required. Candidate must have valid driver’s license and a current Alabama State Applicators License.
The salary range is $31,835 to $44,340 depending on qualifications.
Applicants must satisfactorily pass a background investigation and pre-employment drug screen after receiving conditional offer of employment. Applications are available on this website and can be downloaded. Completed applications and resumes may be emailed to email@example.com or mailed to the City of Pelham, Human Resources ATTN: Brooke Jenkins at 401 Southgate Drive, Pelham, AL 35124 or dropped off at Pelham City Hall. Deadline for applications is Thursday, December 5, 2019 by 5pm. City of Pelham is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is E-Verify compliant.
GRILL/BEVERAGE CART ATTENDANT - PART TIME
Part time up to 30 hours a week. Rate of pay is $9.00 an hour plus tips. Schedule includes weekday/weekend mornings and afternoons. Must be 21 years of age with a valid driver's license.
Job duties include friendly customer service, cooking breakfast and lunch items, operating a point of sale system, grill cleanliness, driving a beverage cart on the golf course and the sale of beverages and food to the golfers.
Civic Complex and Ice Arena
FACILITIES ASSISTANT/LABORER ~ PART TIME
The City of Pelham is currently seeking to fill our Part-Time position for Facilities Assistant/Laborer. This job involves keeping the premises of the Civic Complex building in clean and orderly condition by performing the following duties:
- Ensures facility is clean according to guidelines established by management.
- Assists with event set up.
- Performs light building maintenance duties.
- Provides excellent customer service to patrons.
High school diploma or general education degree (GED) plus one month related experience and/or training.
Special Requirement: Must be at least 21 years of age due to position requirement to serve alcohol to patrons.
Salary Range: $8.00 + based on qualifications/experience.
Applicant must satisfactorily pass a background investigation and pre-employment drug screen after receiving conditional offer of employment. Applications are available on our website (https://pelhamalabama.gov/156/Job-Opportunities) and can be downloaded. Completed applications may be emailed, or mailed to the City of Pelham Human Resources at P.O. Box 1419, Pelham, AL 35124, or may be dropped off in person. Position posted until filled. City of Pelham is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is E-Verify compliant.
Development Services & Public Works
The City of Pelham is currently accepting applications and resumes for the full time position of City Engineer. This position leads the city through enhancement of the City Environment by assembling and preparing analysis of basic data and field information regarding all public infrastructure. The position is also responsible for approving construction plans, site development, storm drainage, and parking; maintaining and modifying waste treatment equipment and processes; analyzing and improving traffic patterns; and building, monitoring, and enhancing drainage systems. The following are a list of duties involved:
- Enforcing engineering codes and regulations.
- Preparing city engineering information and reports and making presentations.
- Treating solid wastes by maintaining and modifying waste treatment equipment and processes as well as establishing and reviewing testing procedures.
- Controlling traffic by analyzing and improving traffic patterns; anticipating changes in traffic flow; approving traffic from proposed house and office developments; determining road closures and repaving requirements and determining need for signals, signs, pavement markings and sidewalks.
- Supporting city planning commission decision making by providing information and recommendations; conferring with contractors, architects, and engineers and reviewing cost estimates.
- Controlling storm water drainage by building, monitoring, and enhancing drainage systems.
- Protecting city operations by keeping information confidential.
- Improving city engineering job knowledge through continuing education opportunities.
- Contributing to engineering and city success by welcoming related, different, and new requests.
- Reviewing engineering plans for commercial development and subdivisions.
A complete job description can be made available upon request.
Must have a Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering; six years of civil engineering experience concentrating in public infrastructure systems preferably in a municipal or state agency environment, and four years as a licensed professional engineer. Must possess a professional engineering license from any state to apply for this position; however, the State of Alabama Professional Engineering License must be obtained prior to completion of the probationary period.
Must have a thorough knowledge of local, state, and federal regulations, engineering terminology, principles, and theories, legal terminology used in construction documents as well as construction contract administration.
Must possess and maintain a valid driver's license.
Compensation is $81,178 - $110,638, depending on experience, education, and other training. The City of Pelham offers an excellent benefits package.
Applicant must satisfactorily pass a Background Investigation and pre-employment drug screen after receiving conditional offer of employment. Applications are available on this website and can be downloaded. Completed applications and resumes may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org Final date to submit applications and resumes’ is Wednesday, December 18, 2019, at 5:00PM. City of Pelham is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is E-Verify compliant.
The City of Pelham Fire Department is currently accepting applications for the position of Firefighter/EMT. The department is looking to fill current vacancies on our team as well as future vacancies. Our city offers a competitive salary and benefit package with a fast paced family friendly work environment. The City of Pelham has 23,000 residents covering 39 square miles including Oak Mountain State Park and the Oak Mountain Amphitheater, and in 2021 our city will host several events of the World Games. Two large developments are underway in our city totaling 70 million dollars.
Department statistics are listed below:
- 2018 – 3410 calls for service
- 78 career firefighters
- 5 stations working 24/48 schedule
- 4 ALS Engines
- 1 ALS Quint
- Hazardous Materials Response for Shelby County
- Underwater/Surface Water Rescue
- High Angle/Confined Space Rescue
- Marine Operations
- Advanced In-house training program and training facility
- State Retirement
- Life Insurance
- Cancer Insurance
- Blue Cross/Blue Shield Health Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Workers Compensation
- Deferred Compensation
- Flexible Spending Program
- Minimum 19 years old
- High School Diploma or GED
- Passing grade of 70 or higher on the City of Pelham Civil Service Exam
- Testing Date: January 24, 2019
- Completion of the City of Pelham Physical Fitness Assessment
- Must be able to pass psychological evaluation, criminal background investigation, driving history investigation and physical and drug screening.
- Current State of Alabama EMT License
- Current State of Alabama Firefighter I
Parks & Recreation
The City of Pelham is currently accepting applications for a part-time position with the City of Pelham Senior Center.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Greet seniors as they enter the center and provide them with information or direct them to appropriate staff members
- Answer and promptly handle phone calls and routine questions
- Provide information to the seniors visitors and assist with activity calendar
Candidates must have:
- Excellent Customer Service
- Strong verbal and written skills
- Strong membership/data entry
- Attention to details
- Computer skills
- Ability to adapt and problem solve in various situations
- Motivated and team player
Applicant must satisfactorily pass a background investigation and pre-employment drug screen after receiving conditional offer of employment. Compensation is $10.00 per hour.
Candidates must be at least 16 years of age, be dependable and available Monday - Thursday 8:30-12:30 and Friday 9am- 12:30pm (19.5 hours total).
Completed applications and resumes may be emailed to email@example.com. Position is open until fulfilled.
The City of Pelham is currently accepting applications and resumes for the full time position of Police Officer. This position leads the city in performing police work in accordance with departmental policies, rules, regulations and standard operating procedures and receive assignments and instructions from police officers of higher rank. Work normally consists of routine patrol, preliminary investigations, and traffic regulation duties in a designated area/beat on an assigned shift and which may be performed in patrol vehicles or on foot. Work may involve an element of personal danger and employees must be able to act without direct supervision and exercise independent judgment in meeting emergencies. The following are a list of duties involved:
- Patrols a designated area of the city on foot or in an automobile to protect human life and to preserve law and order, to prevent and discover the commission of crime, to direct traffic as required, to identify and report potential or existing public safety hazards and to enforce traffic and parking regulations.
- Answers calls and complaints involving fire, automobile accidents, felonies, and misdemeanors.
- At the scene of crime, preserves human life, protects property, controls access to the scene, conducts preliminary investigations, gathers evidence, locates witnesses and obtains statements, makes arrests, composes and writes detailed incident / offense reports and testifies as a witness in court.
- At the scene of automobile accidents, preserves life, protects property, locates witnesses and obtains statements, investigates the causes of the accident and prepares detailed accident investigation reports.
- Interviews persons with complaints and attempts to make proper disposition or directs them to proper authorities.
- Gives general advice on traffic and criminal laws and ordinances, and gives general information to the public.
- Employees may be assigned to work on special assignments which call upon specialized abilities and knowledge usually attained through experience as a uniformed Police Officer. Police Officers assigned to the Criminal Investigation Division or specialized units are subject to call 24 hours a day.
- Police Officers may be assigned to work in uniform or plain clothes. Shift schedules and job assignments may be changed periodically to assure the maximum delivery of effective police service.
A complete job description can be made available upon request.
Must be at least 21 years of age upon graduation of the APOST Academy and have no felony or serious misdemeanor criminal convictions. Must possess a high school diploma or GED certificate. Completion of some college or university course work in Criminal Justice, Law Enforcement, Police Science, Criminology, Public Administration, Business Administration, or a related field from a regionally accredited college or university is preferred.
Must have a valid Alabama Driver’s License and meet the minimum standards for law enforcement officers as established by Alabama Peace Officers Standards and Training Commission (APOSTC) and Alabama Law and maintain annual APOSTC continuing education requirements.
APOSTC certified applicants will be ranked, based on their overall academy average. POSTC applicants from other states will also be ranked in the same manner. For non- APOSTC applicants, the ACT WorkKeys Exam must be taken, prior to applying, and the overall average of that score will be used to rank applicants. The ACT WorkKeys Exam is given at most junior colleges within Alabama.
At the conclusion of the application process, Human Resources will rank each applicant on a certified list. When the applicant's name is submitted to the police department, the applicant will be contacted and scheduled for the standardized APOSTC physical fitness exam. The results of that exam are pass/fail and those who pass will continue in the hiring process. Those who fail the physical fitness exam may re-apply when the next job posting occurs.
Within six (6) months of date of hire, employee must establish primary residence within a 35-mile radius from Pelham Police Headquarters.
In order to maintain and continue employment as a sworn police officer for the City of Pelham Police Department, an employee must retain the legal right and authority to carry a pistol and any other firearm normally used by police officers. Conviction of any crime that results in the loss of an employee’s rights to carry firearms will immediately disqualify said employee from continued employment as a sworn police officer for the City of Pelham.
In order to maintain and continue employment as a sworn police officer for the City of Pelham Police Department, an employee must retain the legal right and authority to access information from and through the Alabama Criminal Justice Information Center (ACJIC) and the National Crime Information Center (NCIC) computer systems. Conviction of any felony, or any other crime that results in the loss of an employee’s right to access said computer systems, or a sustained allegation of breach of the rules governing operation and access to said computer systems which results in a decision by either ACJIC or NCIC to terminate an employee’s right and/or authority to access, operate, or receive information through said computer systems will immediately disqualify said employee from continued employment for the City of Pelham.
Compensation is $46,692 - $70,002, depending on experience, education, and other training. The City of Pelham offers an excellent benefits package.
Applicant must complete a written background packet, prior to first interview, satisfactorily pass a Background Investigation and polygraph examination after passing an interview. Applicant must also pass a pre-employment drug screen after receiving conditional offer of employment. Applications are available on this website and can be downloaded. Completed applications and resumes may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org . Final date to submit applications and resumes is Thursday, December 5, 2019, at 5:00 PM. City of Pelham is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is E-Verify compliant.