- Administration (clerical support, accounting/financial support)
- Engineering (City Engineer)
- Ballantrae Golf Club
- Building Inspections and GIS
- Human Resources
- Facilities Maintenance and Landscape
- Parks and Recreation
- Pelham Civic Complex & Ice Arena
- Public Works (laborers for maintenance and repair of streets and other community areas)
- Garage (mechanics to support operation and maintenance of all city vehicles)
We encourage you to complete an online application and submit it via email. We will retain your application on file for 60 days. (You may also forward a copy of your resume.)
We do not discriminate on the basis of race, sex (including pregnancy), color, age, national origin, disability or any other protected status. We base our hiring decisions on a variety of factors., including skills and ability to perform the job, prior employment experience, employment references as to character and willingness to work, willingness to accept the offered salary and personal interviews. The City of Pelham is an equal opportunity employer.
Current Employment Opportunities:
Ballantrae Golf Club
GRILL/BEVERAGE CART ATTENDANT - PART TIME
Part time up to 30 hours a week. Rate of pay is $9.00 an hour plus tips. Schedule includes weekday/weekend mornings and afternoons. Must be 21 years of age with a valid driver's license.
Job duties include friendly customer service, cooking breakfast and lunch items, operating a point of sale system, grill cleanliness, driving a beverage cart on the golf course and the sale of beverages and food to the golfers.
Civic Complex and Ice Arena
Development Services & Public Works
BUILDING AND ZONING OFFICIAL
The City of Pelham is accepting applications and resumes for the full time position of Building and Zoning Official. This position leads the city in activities of inspecting new and existing buildings and structures to ensure conformance to building, grading, and zoning laws and approved plans, specifications, and standards by performing the following duties:
- Review all building permit application and proposed plans and perform inspections for compliance with all applicable provisions of City Ordinances and adopted codes.
- Issue all building permits and maintain records; Issue all certificates of occupancy and maintain records.
- Issue and renew where applicable all temporary use permits and maintain records.
- Inspect residential, commercial, industrial, and other buildings during and after construction to ensure that components such as footings, floor framing, completed framing, chimneys, and stairways meet provisions of building, grading, zoning, and safety laws and approved plans, specifications, and standards.
- Observes conditions and issues notices for corrections to persons responsible for conformance.
- Obtains evidence and prepares report concerning violations which have not been corrected.
- Interprets legal requirements and recommends compliance procedures to contractors, craft workers, and owners.
- Keeps inspection records and prepares reports for use by administrative or judicial authorities.
- Conducts surveys of existing buildings to determine lack of prescribed maintenance, housing violations, or hazardous conditions.
A complete job description can be made available upon request.
Bachelor’s Degree (B.A.) from four year university and/ or at least five years related experience or equivalent credentials.
Must have a valid Alabama Driver’s License, Certified Building Official Certification; Certified Building Inspector Certification; and Planning and Zoning Certification. Other certifications may be required after employment.
Construction experience and knowledge of the State of Alabama Code Title 11 as well as familiarity with construction industry operations preferred.
One to three years supervisory experience preferred with organization skills, assigning and directing work, performance reviews and addressing complaints and resolving problems. Compensation is $79,194 - $100,320, depending on experience, education, and other training. The City of Pelham offers an excellent benefits package.
Applicant must satisfactorily pass a Background Investigation and pre-employment drug screen after receiving conditional offer of employment. Applications are available on this website and can be downloaded. Completed applications and resumes may be emailed to CityManagerAdmin@pelhamalabama.gov or mailed to the City of Pelham, Human Resources at P.O. Box 1419, Pelham, AL 35124 or dropped off at 401 Southgate Drive. Final date to submit applications and resumes’ will be Wednesday, October 16, 2019, at 5:00PM. City of Pelham is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is E-Verify compliant.
MANAGER OF WATER & SEWER
The City of Pelham is currently seeking to fill our full time position for Manager of Water & Sewer within the Department of Development Services and Public Works. This is a management level position class that plans, organizes, manages and reviews the work of employees engaged in the installation, repair, and operation of water and wastewater facilities, including the wastewater treatment plant and maintenance of water and sanitary sewer mains, fire hydrants, meters, pumps, tanks, wells and lift stations within the Water and Sewer division. This position oversees supervisory staff in the division and reports directly to the Director of Development Services and Public Works. It is distinguished from the supervisor class by its managerial responsibility. This is accomplished by the ability to perform the following essential job functions:
- Plans, organizes, directs, and reviews operations and activities of the water and sewer divisions of the city; develops and implements goals, objectives and prioritizes work activities. Recommends policies.
- Responsible for preparation and administration of the division’s budgets.
- Responsible for a variety of personnel duties including interviewing, conducting performance evaluations, training, and disciplinary actions. Recommends the hiring and suspension of personnel.
- Analyzes division activities, makes recommendations, and implements improvements in processes to increase efficiencies and overall work quality.
- Analyzes trends, such as population and industrial growth of areas being served to determine the adequacy of current facilities and to project community demand for future facilities.
- Develops plans to meet and serve expanding community needs such as increasing capacity of water storage and distribution facilities, or arranging new sources of water supply.
- Directs activities of subordinate personnel who oversee installation, maintenance and repair of the water distribution and sewage facilities.
- Confers with Director, technical personnel, and outside utilities to coordinate department activities.
- Evaluates new developments in materials, tools, and equipment to recommend or deny purchase.
- Responsible for the effective management of consultants and service providers.
- Provides input into the capital plan based on analysis and research of best practices.
- Directs work according to the strategic and capital plans.
- Working in correlation with Director and Safety Manager, investigates and provides memos and reports of claims against the city related to division activities.
- Provides for training and development of division employees.
- Prepares billings and estimates for repair and construction work performed by city forces.
- Ensures an adequate inventory of materials, supplies, parts, and equipment for the division’s total work program.
- Prepares formal work schedule programs for division and utilizes project management and electronic work flow tools to effectively manage efficient work projects.
- Inspects work in progress of contractors and staff crews for conformance with plans and specifications.
- Handles citizen complaints related to the division and makes decisions regarding the escalation of issues to the Director.
Eight years of experience (with a minimum of 4 years in a supervisory capacity) in water and sewer operations is required. A bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering or a related field can substitute for half of the required experience. Candidates must have a demonstrated track record of successfully managing individuals and multiple projects. Must demonstrate a strong background of improving processes for efficiency and quality and holding staff members accountable for results. Candidates with supervisory experience in more than one area are preferred.
State of Alabama Grade IV Operator Certification of Competency and Grade II Water Operator’s license are required. A valid Alabama driver’s license is required and must be maintained.
The compensation range for this position is $68,688 to $93,614. The City of Pelham also offers an excellent benefits package.
Applicant must satisfactorily pass a background investigation and pre-employment drug screen after receiving conditional offer of employment. Applications are available on this website and are available to download. Completed applications may be emailed to CityManagerAdmin@pelhamalabama.gov or mailed to the City of Pelham, Human Resources, at P.O. Box 1419, Pelham, AL 35124, or may be dropped off at 401 Southgate Drive in Pelham. Final date to submit applications is Monday, October 16, 2019, at 5:00 p.m. The City of Pelham is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is E-Verify compliant.
Parks & Recreation
SENIOR CENTER MANAGER
The City of Pelham is currently seeking to fill our full time position for Senior Center Manager. This job involves directing daily management of the Pelham Senior Center which includes but is not limited to the following essential job functions:
- Develops, implements and schedules all programs and activities at the Senior Center
- Studies and analyzes recreational needs and resources for our seniors in the community
- Supervises, trains and evaluates direct reports; addresses employee concerns and problems
- Identifies, contacts, schedules and evaluates independent instructors
- Supports Assistant Director of Parks and Recreation in conducting market research and developing short and long range goals and objectives
- Coordinates programs and services with local agencies on aging and service providers for senior adults
- Plans and coordinates off site outings and overnight trips
- Drives city vehicles when needed
- Develops newsletter, fliers, and displays to promote interest in Senior Center programs
- Maintains and markets programs and activities on Senior Center social media
Bachelor’s Degree plus one to two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Commercial Driver's License Preferred.
Starting salary: $39,794 - $55,426 based on qualifications and experience. The City also offers an excellent benefits package.
Applicant must satisfactorily pass a background investigation and pre-employment drug screen after receiving conditional offer of employment. Applications are available on this website and can be downloaded. Completed applications may be emailed to CityManagerAdmin@pelhamalabama.gov, or mailed to the City of Pelham Human Resources at P.O. Box 1419, Pelham, AL 35124, or may be dropped off in person. Position is open until filled. First review October 9, 2019. City of Pelham is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is E-Verify compliant.